Author Topic: Not Sure Where Else to Turn [Technical]  (Read 2443 times)

Offline m_hoop

Not Sure Where Else to Turn [Technical]
« on: April 12, 2018, 02:39:40 PM »
Hey all,

I'm new around here, and I hate to lead off with a technical question; but, I'm gonna. If I don't I'm not going to be able to play either way. I've asked in a few different places and I've been lead down some rabbit holes - so I'm trying here. It appears to me that there's still a good EQ community, here, and that's good enough for me to ask and maybe find an answer. Going to try to make this as straightforward as possible.

I have a desktop Mac that I've installed windows 10 on via bootcamp.
A few days ago, I downloaded steam, and subsequently downloaded the Everquest F2P files and patched them via Launchpad. After patching, I verified my account, and all my files, and pressed 'Play.' I immediately got a 'dx9<etc>.dll' not present error. No matter; I tried to find those files and got them DLed/Installed. After this, that particular message didn't pop up. What DID start happening was that I would click 'play' in the launcher and the game window would launch and then immediately close. This is where I'm stuck.

I have tried running launchpad as administrator. I also understand there could be some editing to the .ini file that I could do, but when I examine the file I'm not specifically sure what to change (I do know there's not a windowed mode true/false flag to change - that was suggested). One resource I DO have at my disposal is a 5-iso set of EQ Titanium discs. I have not tried installing that way.

Has anyone had/corrected this issue? I'm on my last legs with hope...

Much obliged.
M

Offline Riou

• Administrator
  • Master
    • EQ Resource - The Resource for your EverQuest needs
Re: Not Sure Where Else to Turn [Technical]
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 02:59:35 PM »
Did you download DirectX 9.0c? EQ requires this to run, and windows versions past like XP don't come with it (EQ is gonna require 7+ soon so all required windows versions wont come with default with that version of DirectX)

DirectX does not work like other things where the # means you have all versions below it, each version is pretty seperate

Offline m_hoop

Re: Not Sure Where Else to Turn [Technical]
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 03:01:18 PM »
Hi Riou -

I think I got the right Dx9 version. I say that because the error message vanished. That doesn't necessarily mean I did fix it, but I assumed. I think I found the DX9c package at work today so I'm going to install it when I get home and see if it works.

Someone told me this was a screen resolution/native resolution issue, too...