Author Topic: Everquest & CPU Affinity for Boxing  (Read 2815 times)

Offline wolfcaller

Everquest & CPU Affinity for Boxing
« on: May 31, 2019, 07:54:12 PM »

As MS Windows 10 becomes more of a service then an OS, what with the Windows Super-user overwriting changes we make. here is something helpful for boxers.
'k in Windows 10 it does not allow you to set an affinity for CPU's ( task manager, services not saving & being overwritten by Super-user as well as the eqclient.ini file)

in order to do this you need to create some BAT files, These MUST be placed in your Everquest folder
the syntax is simple:
Code: [Select]
start /affinity CPUHEX launchpad.exe
the CPUHEX being as follows
in order for windows to understand what CPU you want to use it must be written in Hexadecimal, & your first CPU is CPU 0 not 1 as you would think.

I have done the work for you for CPU 0 through 7 here:

• processor 0: 0x1

processor 1: 0x2

processor 2: 0x4

processor 3: 0x8

processor 4: 0x16

processor 5: 0x32

processor 6: 0x64

processor 7: 0x128
so to make a Batch file that starts EQ in CPU 1 (your 2nd CPU the batch file would read:
start /affinity 0x2 launchpad.exe
the reason the BAT files need to be in the Everquest directory is the shortcut will tell it yo run in that directory, so it will work correctly
then you click the BAT file, select copy, & Paste Shortcut, on your desktop.
this insures that Windows 10 starts that instance of Everquest using the correct CPU, as I only have 5 instances of Everquest running at a time I have 5 Bat files & five shortcuts Labeled EQ-Box 1-5, I used the icon from launchpad to make the shortcuts standout as different from the Everquest shortcut.

I hope this helps some of you, if you do not know how to make a BAT file, then contact me & I will explain that to you but if your boxing EQ you should know how to use this information.

Larul Wolfcaller
Shamaness 110
The Silent Minority
The Rathe
Larul Wolfcaller 115 Shaman
The Silent Minority
The Rathe

ALTS
Iroll Nomoss 114 Ranger
Rabbits InTheHat 115 Magician

Offline wolfcaller

Re: Everquest & CPU Affinity for Boxing
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 07:43:04 PM »
REALLY? 125 Views and not a single reply or thank you? /sigh
The Silent Minority
The Rathe

ALTS
Iroll Nomoss 114 Ranger

Offline wolfcaller

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 05:23:43 PM »
ok as of August MS Windows 10 Update THIS IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.
Windows Super-user as disabled the ability to run the BAT files
The Silent Minority
The Rathe

ALTS
Iroll Nomoss 114 Ranger

Offline wolfcaller

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 08:25:35 PM »

ok in Windows 10 it does not allow you to set an affinity for CPU's
in order to do this you need to create some BAT files, These MUST be placed in your Everquest folder
to open your everquest folder just right click the EQ shortcut on your desktop and left click OPEN FILE LOCATION

up at the top click VIEW and check the box FILE NAME EXTENSIONS
right click on a blank part of the window area and go to NEW then TEXT DOCUMENT and left click it, this creates a file called New Text Document.txt
open it and follow the below information.

in order for windows to understand what CPU you want to use it must be written as below, & your first CPU is CPU 0 not 1 as you would think. Windows runs off CPU 0 so do not run EQ off of CPU 0. ALSO Intel CPU's use hyper-threading they use the even numbered CPU's so use the ODD numbered ones first.

the syntax is simple:
start /affinity [i]CODE[/i] launchpad.exe so as example I have an Intel CPU so I want to start my first instance of EQ on CPU 3 so my EQ1.BAT file reads
start /affinity 0x0008 launchpad.exe
I have done the work for you for CPU 0 through 15 here
CPU=0 code: 0x0001
CPU=1 code: 0x0002
CPU=2 code: 0x0004
CPU=3 code: 0x0008
CPU=4 code: 0x0010
CPU=5 code: 0x0020
CPU=6 code: 0x0040
CPU=7 code: 0x0080
CPU=8 code: 0x0100
CPU=9 code: 0x0200
CPU=10 code: 0x0400
CPU=11 code: 0x0800
CPU=12 code: 0x1000
CPU=13 code: 0x2000
CPU=14 code: 0x4000
CPU=15 code: 0x8000

SAVE the file and close it, then rename it to EQ1.BAT (next one is EQ2.BAT etc) YES you want to rename it that way
the reason the BAT files need to be in the Everquest directory is the shortcut will tell it to run in that directory, so it will work correctly
then when you are all done right click on EQ1.BAT select COPY, go to your desktop and right click and select PASTE SHORTCUT

now when you are boxing use EQ1 to start your first instance of EQ, then when loaded use EQ2 to start the second and so on
any questions?

ENJOY
~ru
The Silent Minority
The Rathe

ALTS
Iroll Nomoss 114 Ranger