Author Topic: Day 3, Call of the Forsaken - 7 days of EQResource Anniversary Contests!  (Read 5938 times)

Offline Soju

Re: Day 3, Call of the Forsaken - 7 days of EQResource Anniversary Contests!
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 02:08:13 PM »
Like many others, I enjoyed the HAs for a while... and then they just got to be too much of a grind.

Looking back now though, Staff of Viral Flux ( http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=117056 ) is something I still treasure and use every day for pulling. So that has to be one of my favorite things from COTF.

Offline Mineek

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 02:21:33 PM »
Ethernere Tainted West Karana and finally taking down Roon and Shoon for the first time.
Don't get me wrong I had taken deaths and many of them before I finally took them down but when I did it was like there wasn't any other named in the zone for me lol. But tanking them was enjoyable.

Offline gotcharms

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 02:33:01 PM »
There's a lot of good stuff in COTF. Some of the quest lines can be a tad bit grindy (hello, DH and BW!), but you never really feel it. There's a nice difficulty curve to the expansion that feels good, even two level cap increases later.

That being said, COTF will always be a tainted expansion for me, because of Gribble GobbleKnobber (KnobbleGobber? GobberKnobber? GobbleKnob? It's something vaguely sexual like that). I count myself lucky to have never ran Gribble GobKnobble's "easy xp" missions to grind XP. Dead Hills is one of the most bleak and depressing zones in the entire game, and while there's some nice aesthetics and design in certain areas, neither of those things are found in the Hallway of Endless Hell Gribble KnobGobble sends you to.

Most of my involvement with the COTF expansion has involved guiding all the poor, sorry, wretched, starving, lost souls who fall into the Gribble GobberKnobbel trap away from that cursed place and into the promised land of Literally Anywhere Else. You can see the hollowed out, thousand-yard stare in their eyes after a few million Gribble runs, and you can feel your heart wrench when the dead, monotone voices ask in general chat, "anyone lfg gribble?"

Fortunately, through persistent outreach programs, a lot of community support, and an abundance of love, we have largely eliminated Gribble KnobGob addictions in today's society. It took a lot of work, a lot of heartbreak, and a few untimely deaths, but it was all worth it. RIP Gribble KnobbleGobble.

Remember kids. Friends Don't Let Friend's Gribble.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:37:42 PM by gotcharms »

Offline Akirrah

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2018, 02:36:52 PM »
As someone who recently came back to the game HAs were one of the ways I was able to level at a decent pace to catch up with the times

Not sure I would have been able to stand grinding at first without those available to help catch up

Offline Ranonman

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 03:34:07 PM »
I came back before they released second tier of CoTF. So, that time I was still learning how to play and what to do. I began my questing in CoTF. At that time, I wasn't OP warrior like I am now. I could not tank well. I was really frustrated about that. The Fall of Bayle challengers - that was hard when it was current! I was actively raiding with open raid in RoF and CoTF that time. I liked Argin Hiz zone. That was fun change of scenery.

Offline Brendanteske

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2018, 03:41:54 PM »
Not one, but TWO shared bank slots? I'll take it! Thank you very much! :))

Offline Togai

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »
CoTF, for my wife, I'd say it was the bixie and sol'dal zones. We ran so many of those. Myself, I was intrigued to see bits of EQ2 float in. I am a lore junkie, and this had some good additions.

Offline Zarathustra

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2018, 04:07:16 PM »
As someone fond of ancient Rome in real life, I found it cute that CoTF Global Rare Weapons (first time for raid-quality tradables) had Latin names. Here is the research done by Axxius:

Peremo - to massacre
Castus - pure
Ferio - to assault
Sentio - to think
Tritum - beaten
Caedes - murder
Cisum - killed
Mordeo - to bite
Bruma - winter
Percutio - to strike
Secare - to cut
Tarebro - to punch

Edit: For better or worse, global rares changed the face of the Krono market. I wonder if it has helped EQ with revenue.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:09:58 PM by Zarathustra »

Offline kunarkian

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2018, 04:52:07 PM »
The shinnies were a nice addition to zones and the increased shared bank slot helped a ton.

Offline Termination

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2018, 05:00:34 PM »
Loved the Argin hiz zone, it was one of my favorites for cotf expansion, i thought it was designed beautifully and the raid was awesome ! The weapon graphics in this expansion were also well designed.

Offline playful

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2018, 05:20:36 PM »
To everyone saying shinies, they were introduced in RoF haha. CoTF was okay, obviously not as cool as RoF though. My favorite part of CoTF though had to be the Tower of Rot mission with the mez cheeves. You had to have a certain group to win, that was awesome. What was also cool is that in the ToR mission as well as raid, no mana procs worked here. Like no one got gift of mana. It made the mission and raid VERY challenging, but also very fun. I did the mission once on my druid, before I mc'ed to the cleric. So it was neat to see how those two classes worked without extra mana abilities. QM was my best friend.

Also, the REAL best part of cotf was in bixie, the npc, Snazlieu the shadow. Well irl when something happens, that confuses me, I always say, Snazzy Snazlieu. Still, to this day.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 12:22:05 AM by playful »

Offline kirkisx

• Premium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 05:30:07 PM »
CotF for me was different... the pre-expansion release quests was so cool... got a cool title and such.. the zones were beautiful and full of detail.. and using the group currency from HA's which was so cool to have your own instance and not fight other players for loot... you were able to buy previous expansions was so cool

Offline Nniki

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2018, 05:48:08 PM »
After my return to the game, this was the first expansion I was able to entirely complete group and raid progression in. I, along with a few other guildies, guest raided with another guild on the server at the time. We were able to attend raids during the work day due to our schedules. So, we would bs in voice chat together throughout the raid. Those were some fun times.

I came in late to the expansion, but new content was added around the time of my return. That allowed me to join others delving into unexplored content. Although brief, I thought it was neat that part of the progression took you to the Plane of Growth to speak to Firiona Vie.

Rushing through as many heroic adventures as possible was enjoyable at the time, but I think everyone eventually got tired of those. One thing I always enjoy doing is progression missions, especially with friends. In general, raids and missions are my favorite type of content, as they enforce working as a team to try to overcome a challenge. Which leads into what my favorite part of the expansion was... the Tower of Rot mission. That mess of a mission provided so many hurdles, especially if going for achievements. I love that kind of stuff.

Offline goodn

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 07:02:54 PM »
It's Gribbles. For better or worse (and I've heard it both ways).

The actual shame about CotF is that the best zone is probably Argin-Hiz, which is at the end of the expansion and not that many folks bother to adventure within.

Offline Abazzagorath

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 07:04:18 PM »
Trying to get the no one die achievement in the first raid, when split raiding, and watching the other raid get it and our raid not get it for months!

Offline Tarace

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2018, 08:18:03 PM »
The introduction of the Heroic Adventures was a good idea as far as I can see after all these years of break, a nice change :)

Offline The Weebaaa

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2018, 10:29:39 PM »
Heroic Adventures by far were the best thing.

I started out oh so slowly Soloing progression, all of it, being new to the server.

After a while, it sunk in that random people were in fact interested in doing these "missions", and they were forgiving enough where you could stack classes and still succeed.
Plus oh yes, the rewards were great.

Were they over rewarding? Probably.

Was it fun participating in them with randoms, making some friends, and achieving some goals? for sure!

Offline DraxxCI

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2018, 10:40:35 PM »
Gribbles,

As a returning player after a long layoff (10 years), it was nice to be able to find people to group with and get some xp and AAs to get caught up again. Couple that with the ability to eventually do 3 gribbles on a Lesson of Devoted burn and it turned into one of my favorite places. Don't really recall what level I was able to get in on some groups as i didn't heroic myself instead grinded up from 76ish.

Offline jebidai

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2018, 01:44:52 AM »
My favorite thing about this expansion was that it was the expansion that TSM RED was born and I was able to be a part of that. Many new faces came out of the wood-works and many other players were able to main switch and fun was had by all.

Offline hyrola

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2018, 01:56:15 AM »
cotf was more of a grind expansion for me rather then one that I really looked forward to enjoying. but I have a couple items I got from raiding that I still use occasionally to this day. that is the cure disease shield and the cure poison clickie. when I get dotted or debuffed I just smile click and thank cotf =)

Offline Carbja23

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2018, 06:52:00 AM »
I liked the challenge of the HA in this expansion (captain HA). I also through the raids where pretty good.