Author Topic: Inventory your mules!  (Read 8594 times)

Offline Metanis

Inventory your mules!
« on: September 15, 2013, 12:46:10 PM »
Back in the old days before you had huge bags and massive banks you made tradeskill mules to hold all your crap. Over time and with numerous accounts it was easy to lose track of which mule held which tradeskill item. Of course the ability to bazaar made things easier but we are old school and have continued to use our mules. My problem was keeping track of 30 mules spread across 5 accounts!

Here's the method I came up with.

1) Use "/outputfile inventory" and "/outputfile realestate" on every character (while in-game) to dump a text file which lists every item they possess. These text files are saved in your master Everquest folder with a filename like "metanis-inventory.txt".
2) Create your own folder called EQInv and move all your txt files into that one single folder. This will make it easier to select all these files later. Use Windows Explorer to perform these create and move events.
3) Go to a web site called filehippo.com and install Notepad++ from the Developer Tools section.
4) Using Windows Explorer, select all your Inventory text files (CTRL + A) and right click anywhere on the selected files and choose "Edit with Notepad++". All your files will open in one editor.
5) Use the binocular icon to invoke the Notepad++ ability to search for text strings "across all open files". A result window section will open showing you the specific character and even the exact bag and slot in the bag. Now you know which Character to login and even the bag to look for the item you seek.

Saves a lot of frustration when you can't remember exactly which mule you left something on 10 years ago...

Offline startrek41

• Premium Member
Re: Inventory your mules!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:20:08 PM »
thanks i need to try this.

Offline Angahran

• Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 01:29:40 PM »
Now if we could just set characters to automatically create the inventory files when you log out that would be great

Offline Soraia

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 05:39:42 AM »
Or use this: http://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/EverQuest_Inventory_Report

Does all the work for you and displays it in an easier format.

Offline KellanMarr

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 01:33:18 PM »
Why did I never know about this program? Thanks, Soraia! (and Fanra)