Author Topic: EverQuest's 15th Anniversary - An Epic Memory contest: March 8 - March 31, 2014  (Read 10152 times)

Offline Rorce

• Administrator
  • Master

The Contest -

We all have several cherished memories from throughout our EverQuest journey. The staff of EQResource share an enjoyment of hearing about other peoples epic and cherished memories. We thought it fitting that for EverQuest's 15th Anniversary we should invite the players to share an epic memory with us, and win great prizes while doing so! Tell us about your first day in EverQuest, or about your most cherished memory. Be as detailed as you wish, and post as much or as little as you want. Be sure to include your Server and Character name!

The Rules -

- Due to us having to pay for physical shipping of rewards, this contest is only open to folks in the U.S. Sorry! Extra Details
 - Tell us about your most cherished EQ memory, or about your first day in EverQuest.
 - Be as detailed as you want to be. You can post as much, or as little as you wish.
 - This contest will not be judged.
 - On April 4th we will do 4 /randoms in game to determine the winners. Winners will be decided by post number in this thread.
 - One entry per person. If you post multiple times, or try to post from multiple usernames, you will be disqualified from this and all future EQResource contests!
 - The contest officially runs from March 8 to March 31, 2014.
 - 4 winners will be announced on April 4th.

The Rewards -

1st place: (1) EverQuest Call of the Forsaken Poster - Signed by the EverQuest development team!

2nd place: (1) SOE Live / EverQuest Lanyard + (1) EverQuest Shadow Knight Epic Keychain

3rd place: (1) SOE Live / EverQuest Lanyard + (1) EverQuest License Plate Frame

4th place: (1) EverQuest License Plate Frame + (1) EverQuest Cloth Map
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:40:57 AM by Rorce »

Offline Urthak

I DO have many special memories from my years on EQ. But I think I'll start with my favorite, which was having my guild's original Guild Leader come out of retirement, and help me get my zerker 1.0, in the final fight. But my most cherished memory is also my saddest...the day my wife passed away, it was announced in General, for all who knew her. The responce from friends, fellow players, and complete strangers was powerful. I know that she touched many on our server, and was greatly reminded of it then, and many times since.

Thanks for the chance to share.

Offline Edrick

This is one of my greatest memories of a paladin: killing Miragul, for the Fiery Avenger.

So my guild leader set up a time where the whole guild (this was overkill, but I insisted) ported and walked all the way to Everfrost, entered that little crack in the iced over river, and got into Miragul's caves. For a time when there wasn't such a thing as a raid window, and people that had... difficulty finding their away around, this was a time consuming task. So where was I during all this? Right in front of the caves, waiting for everybody like a smart responsible person? No, I was in Freeport by myself - give me a break, I was a teenager. I realized people were headed there, and I started running without thinking of asking for a port. My guild leader, rightfully so, sent me a tell saying if you want the guild to help you on something like this, you really should be responsible and be there on time. Well, he said something like that. So I ran, again without thinking of ports, with just my jboots, from Freeport to Everfrost. Luckily, I knew the game map better than my own neighborhood. While they were waiting for me, they killed the Priest of Discord in Halas to keep people from bailing. This was when he dropped his robe and staff.

I finally got there, and 40+ people assembled in the caves, after ressing a couple that drowned in the river despite instructions to have an enduring breath item or spell cast on them. Someone tracks the lich, which you need to charm and hand his phylactery to, so he becomes alive again - then you kill him. He drops his head and his robe. All of these 40 people were there to help just me get one of the very first fiery avengers on The Rathe. I was sick to my stomach, because Miragul wore a decent robe that had a beautiful color tint to it - mind you, this was way, way before dyes were implemented. I was worried sick someone would loot the robe - and even though it was a caster item, you need both the robe and head to finish the quest. So I am repeating, do not loot the robe, do not loot the robe! I lost the screenshots, but I did use the internet wayback machine to recover some a while ago. I got a couple good screenshots of the Miragul kill (taken by someone else,) but unfortunately the screenshots of me in Plane of Sky, being given the Fiery Avenger, were only saved by that site in a pitiful 150x133 resolution.

Still, it was a wonderful experience. Having a weapon with particle effects at the time was limited to just paladins with the Fiery Avenger and Soulfire and it was such an honor to get it. Not to mention the weapon was really good. The guild that helped me receive it was Clan Icewind on The Rathe, who later reformed as Myth Lords during the Luclin? era. I miss everybody I played with during that time and that period of my life is so highly cherished to me, to this day. If anybody from those ancient times are still around, thank you.

Here are a few images. Two from the Miragul kill, you can see my extreme anxiousness about someone looting the robe in the text. The other two are horribly small resolution pictures that I could only recover from the internet wayback machine, probably compressed by them to save space. If you look closely, you can see a paladin in blue valorium, just wielding his brand new Fiery Avenger, with some very close friends, and of course the quest giver, Inte Akera, in the Windmill on Pegasus Isle in Plane of Sky. Sadly these aren't my own personal screenshots since they have been lost due to time.

On the way to Miragul! Why does Halffoot have only four spells memmed?

Miragul's dead, I'm waiting for the time until I can loot the robe since my group didn't get the exp for him. Check the text for how nervous I was.

Awesome screenshots of being handed the Fiery Avenger, that were sadly compressed when I recovered them.

Thanks for reading!

edit: Oh yeah, Xegony.Edrick since the thread asks for that, but you already know that Sir Rorce.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:48:02 PM by Edrick »

Offline savager

One of my most favorite memories of EverQuest was spending hours upon hours camping Raster of Guk for the monk Robe of the Lost Circle. You might ask, "Why in the world would that be your most favorite memory?!?". The best memory isn't the camping, it's in how I got the robe. After finding out that the 2 monk brothers (one in Rathe Mountains, the other in South Karana) actually dropped the robe I decided to check if they were up. Brother Zephyl was up in Rathe Mountains when I stumbled across him. I was barely high enough level to solo the minotaur room where Raster spawns in Lower Guk so there was no way that I would ever be able to kill this monk grandmaster by myself, so I hailed him continuously for 7 hours while a force was assembled to help me kill him led by a good friend of mine, Stubbson (iirc, he was a warrior on Emarr). I want to say that he was in the guild the Grey Legion but it's too hard to remember back that far. Needless to say, he brought the force (max level back then was still 50) and he gave Brother Zephyl a 2hb weapon to cut down his dps and we downed him. I too had to wait for the corpse to unlock so that I could loot the robe but it was just amazing how many people came together to kill this mob for someone that most of them didn't know. I was Falcanor back then on Emarr and now I'm Savager on Xegony. So much time has passed, this game has changed so much and so many people have come and gone. Proud to say I've stuck around for all these 15 years, so many great memories.

Offline Ankarv

• Premium Member
My most cherished memory in EQ is my mentor when I was playing a Beastlord named Fuzzbuster on Cazic-Thule, He was like a father to me. Teaching me not only in game, on life in general, helping me along my way and giving me very sound advice. Unfortunately I never got the honor to meet him in real life, but he had a great affect on my life. Since then he has passed away, and there is not a day that I don't think about him.

RIP Hallof Famur

Ankarv Ebondrake
<Pain and Glory>
Vox Server

*Retired Rantol - Cazic Thule*
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:27:42 PM by Rantol »
Encanis
<Order of Reverent Mirth>
Cazic-Thule Server

Offline Bellower

This is my frist day in EQ, sorry if my english not good but is all i got :P.

Well i was playing on my new play station that day, and my sister come with a friend to the pc.... they bough everuqest.

they was playing and i was looking, humm nice game and they told me to créate 1 carácter. Bellower 1 rogué who i still play as my main since 2001, well i logged in qeynos and my sister told me... go to kill mobs so you can get exp and make levels, and my first idea was to hit a guard on the city. wohooo bellower down in 2 mins playing the game.

I sayd this game sux and i runed back to play station. after 1 day i logged again, but i was alone my sister not in house, and i made lvl 2!!! and after some hours my sister told me to go to Freeport because there was more players and a nice quest killing orcs for exp. Well we spend hours runing and died 2 times trying to cross kithicorn.... that was a real epic run hahaha. And there is my first day of EQ

Offline yetibear311

My first day in EQ I made a Barbarian Warrior and thought "Where are my spells?" hehe.

Anyways, I play a Bard now and have always enjoyed single pulling mobs across a zone, weather it be a named, ph, or just something for a quest, I would jump at any opportunity to show off my pulling skills and impress my group mates...

So one day in Korafax, when SoD was the latest and greatest, I had my group set up down in those foggy rooms where the mission giver is and noticed Grg'nok had been up for a while. So I went off to see why and found that another Bard had been unsuccessfully trying to pull him into the bird room where his group was set up. This Bard was one of the better Bards in game and we sort of knew each other through mutual friends, so I asked if he was done trying to pull the named and if I could give it a try. He said to go for it, he had given up. Here comes the good part, I pulled this thing PASSED his group and down to mine on my first try for a clean kill. If only I could of seen his face!

Punkness Tunesmith - Cazic Thule

Offline somydelafomy

My best EQ memory ever was getting drunk with my friend in the tunnel between commonlands and the desert of Rho. We would gather there every day before grouping up and get drunk in the process both in game and in real life! Those were the days! ;)

Offline Nolrog

• Premium Member
I remember my first character was a Halfling. Forgot his name, but I remember being scared (really scared IRL) to go to the other side of the wall. I went over there and then quickly ran back.

First toon I played regularly was Nolrog, my ranger (he is still out there on Drinal.) I spent so much time in Crushbone, I think they will still cringe if I walked in there now. Heh. I remember one time, getting stuck over the railing in Kelethin. I /shouted for someone to help me, and a kindly wizard came by, and succored me out. Then he gave me a piece of gear that was a nice upgrade. So much great fun back then (I started EQ just after Luclin came out), people all over, it was mad fun.

Offline Ssixa

My first day on EverQuest was in early 2000. My uncle got me hooked in late 1999, though I only had watched him play then, I had not yet saddled up myself (believe me it was not his intention to get me hooked lol, I was 12 at the time and the idea of a video game played with people all over the country was pretty thrilling). Before I tell you about my first day playing, its pertinent background information that I learned a bit just from watching him play. He was a level 13 - 14 paladin (he lost the level a few times while I watched him play lol). I saw a griffon chase him down and ultimately end his life in the Northern Plains of Karana when he tried to make a journey from Qeynos to Freeport. I was totally engrossed...so I got my own account with my parents' permission. I started up a half elf warrior on Povar (the same server as my uncle), calling Freeport home. Many rats and snakes would die that first afternoon, and before long, I was level 3. I was sitting, regenerating my lost health, when my attention was pulled to a newcomer at the gate. I don't remember his name, but he was a paladin, of many seasons more than any player I had seen to that point. He wielded a flaming two handed sword, SoulFire. When I asked him about the sword, I was at first disappointed to find out that only a paladin could wield something so cool. So after debating it, I scrapped Temen the warrior, and rolled Axiss the Half Elf paladin. Unfortunately, Axiss' journey would have to wait for another day. My dad needed to use the phone, so I had to sever the internet connection.

Years later, I was (and am) best known as my ranger Ssixa, most notably from Povar server. I dabbled a bit on Bertoxxulous, and have taken up residence in The Faceless Order (progression guild) on Test, reliving the glory days of my ranger's raiding life. Axiss still resides on Povar, for now. (Yes, I am also Axiss from Fippy).

Offline Azbaelus

Best memory ever: My first toon was a male bard, and a dear friend of mine in RL had a female bard (he's male). We decided to marry our characters. We both petitioned, and set the time and date, and the place was the Temple of Sol Ro. We did our own vows, and were mildly disappointed that no GMs showed up, but we carried on anyway, choosing our guild leader paladin to perform the ceremony. I was doing my vows, and at the end of them added, "Seeing as the GMs did not see fit to bless us with their presence."

Someone piped up with, "We do show up, sometimes we just can't make it in time." We looked, and sure enough, we had not only one GM, but three! They redid the ceremony and spent some time chatting with us, and when we moved on for the reception, to be held in the Arena where we could kill each other, one of them even joined us for some PVP fun (I remember his name was Leosaur and he was an iksar).

And on a funny side note, I had logged the wedding, and famous EQ words at one point popped out as painfully fitting: "Learica is inspecting your equipment."

Offline Putrify

As a young Wood Elf Druid, I remember going to Orc Hill for the first time. Greater Faydark was packed with players, and I met a Dwarven Warrior and a High Elf Cleric. We would chat in /group about "real life," while role-playing in /say.

We were on Orc Hill for hours--sharing the spot with many other players. Some of them were running around randomly, and others--like us--had camped out a particular section.

Offline duksrequim

I started Playing back in Beta. The experience was a huge event in my life. Before Everquest I had played MUD's for the past 2years in College. I was also a veteran at AD&D. So when a friend of mine told me about this great game called Everquest I had to try it out. But I didnt expect much. Boy was I wrong, the opening video was amazing. I sat there watching the scene and couldnt believe the way it was drawing me in.

The list of classes and races was huge... I decided to play a Dark Elf, and I choose a warrior. I logged into the world and I was so hooked I dont even remember what happened for the next few hours outside of the screen in front of me. By the time I was done finding my way around I was shaking with anticipation. Even though the starting area was quite chaotic with people running around everywhere (I think everyone started a darkelf) I did get some good experience fighting. I will never forget attacking for the first time and seeing my characters arms swing and the attack noise.. considering all I had done was MUDS.. this was huge. It was a while before I realized I got to loot the creatures I killed. I had been just leaving the bodies around and so the first time I clicked on the body and looted it was surprising. Then I found my first piece of gear and then a backpack, When I got a new sword I was so happy to have my rusty weapon that I ran around hitting things just to watch me use it.

I played all afternoon long and I think It was around 3am before I finished and logged off. I never forget how i felt.. the rush I was experiencing. For the next week I skipped classes and just played as much as I could. I will never forget however that feeling... the first time I played.

Offline Andreii

My first day in EQ was in November of 2000. I used to watch my roommate play, and one day he asked if I wanted to play. Being as obsessive as he was/is, he wasn't going to let me play on one of his characters for fear I might get him killed and lose XP and probably a corpse, so I rolled up a Human Warrior on E'ci, on he and his mom's suggestion, and set to work. It wasn't long before I was tearing up Blackburrow, and then moved to Oasis to kill crocs. My routine would be to kill a caimon or croc (the deepwaters were red to me) and then have to sit for half an hour to regen my heath back. This seemed like a waste of time, and so I rolled another character, this time a druid. It wasn't all that long before I had out leveled all of my roommate's characters. The rest, as they say, is history.

Offline Naeelru

My Very first Memory of everquest was back in 2000. Made a Wood Elf Druid got into the world and was so eagar to explor I didn't even notice that i was high up in a tree and fell to my death.

Offline ChildofTZ

This isnt an account of my first character, that character was long since deleted...i had talked my brother in to gettting everquest (he thought it looked lame, till i explained the massive world) back when kunark was just about to come out and he let me roll a toon (my computer was down at the time)....anyways, this is about my first main that i created shortly after my brother was hooked to the gills (yes he still is, and so am i apparently).

Krakkan Kralizec, my troll warrior from Saryrn. Dont remember exactly how (guildy im guessing, though he could have paid someone...back when you practically had to), but my brother Rameriz (ranger of surefall) got someone to pick me up in South Ro and give me a lift to group with family and friends.

Well, i got bound to the area and we slaughtered many a gnoll in the hills and blackburrow, slowly climbing our way into higher levels and feeling more and more, that sense of great adventure, that wanderlust that Norrath brings out in all of us....well, we did something completely irrational, we decided to run the gauntlet...we decided to travel to freeport!

A few battles, a few deaths and resurrections, but over all great recoveries (running to zone comes to mind)...we get to Highpass...being that im the only one freaked out by the guards because of being the only troll, i obviously want to move on, but my group wants to look around..maybe check out the keep and all. i some how convince them that, at this late hour, we need to press on.

I remember the distinct feeling of dread, of being overwhelmed as i stepped into the darkness, it was if i was just dropped into the abyss with a match stick to see with...i remember wishing i hadnt sold that last greater light stone...i remember being told to stay well away of Kith at night, but here i was after what felt like days of travel.

My fellow adventurers and i had all heared the horror stories of this zone, of corpses lost to rot..of a sure death if you take one wrong step, some wanted to go back to the keep, others like myself wanted to get to our journeys end, one such fellow said that he was told to stay up high on the zone wall, head north and east past Rivervale and when the path would force us to turn back south we would be close to the commonlands.

We went for it, i remember every time i saw a tree come out of the darkness as if being created before my very eyes i would get a chill...i would feel the dread of looking around the other side, that some zombie was gonna jump out and eat the faces of my friends and i...untill that was exactly what happened...something started killing people and everyone scattered..running off in the distance almost completely blind....blood pounding in my ears, i see yet another comrade ripped to shreds, and just when i knew i we were all dead and gonna be naked back by Qeynos, i stop running and realize that im alive, covered in the blood of my friends and quite a bit of my own, i realize that im zoning!!

I cant really remember if everyone got their corpses or not...i definitely remember that i refused to go back in Kithicor at night for a very long time, but that night will always stick out in my head as one of the most exciting and intense experiences i ever had in any game....with years of similar experiences to follow.

Offline Keshua

Hmm.. I have quite a few good memories of Everquest but perhaps the most memorable was the time a few friends and I were given this quest to go give this medicine to some guy in West Karana. It was almost dark by the time we got there. Upon entering the house we saw a man crouched over feverishly... we proceeded to give him the medicine when suddenly he attacked us! What happened next is all a blur -- all I can remember after that is being chased by werewolves as we ran back to Qeynos.
Keshua Warclaws, lv 100 Vah Shir Warrior
Canudance, Lv 100 Vah Shir Bard
<Pak`Cafan>
Drinal server

Offline Camirae

I bought my husband the game for Christmas so his first character was made on Dec 25 1999...I also made a toon on his account to try it out and couldn't stop playing nor would I let him play his...LOL...so he bought me my own box and the adventures began.. My most memorable time was growing up in the original EQ...I was born in Kelethin as a ranger and had to always run places...without detailed maps I was always dead so my hubby made a wizard and decided to port us everywhere including taking our guild which was then the Seekers <SK> on Tarew Marr and our ally guild Crusaders of the Realm <CoR> to Hate for a raid. My first time there...adrenalin was high with everyone in good spirits for the port up... we had 3 wizards who would drop us...drop group...port back to Nek...pick up another group and come back until we were all together...we were told not to touch the walls..don't move or breathe...stay invised if you could...the rogues tried to scout out mobs for us and of course someone aggroed...we must have had 20 or more mobs in camp at the zone in...naturally we wiped but we did not give up...we all went back a few at a time..ressed...buffed...and died again....and tried it again and again... Hate 1.0 was exciting...scary and made wonderful memories for all of us

Camirae
Drinal

Offline Sharrien

When my kids saw me playing and asked over and over if they could make a character and play. They were thrilled to play EQ but when I made a noobie character on my other account and joined them in game they could hardly believe that daddy was in there with them hunting kobolds and spiders.

Sharrien Dreamstalker, Beastlord
Ravingronn Blazewarden, Magician

Offline Heile

I remember my first day playing EQ... On the way home from school one day on the school bus my friend told me that I had to try this game called everquest cuz is was a lot like dungeons & dragons and I was playing that game at the time. So I went over to my friend's house back in 2000 and I created a character on his account... made a warrior cuz that's what I usually played on d&d. I just remember the old UI with very minimal view ability on the screen. I had no idea what I was doing and what I had to do. So after I tried it for a bit I told myself I won't play that game but I had an itch to try the game again and here I am 14 years later still playing. I gave it another shot and I just wanted to keep leveling that warrior. But when I eventually had my account I started with a rogue and got him to level 55 and couldn't get a group for weeks to save my life. So I made a cleric thinking that every group needs a cleric and I'll be able to get a group every time I logged on. And that cleric is still my main on xegony. I do box with my cleric/rogue combo now almost every chance I get to play and I can't get enough of his dps.

Xegony.Heile
Xegony.Kiellein

Offline Phancy

One of my most memorable days in Everquest was the day I met the iksar warrior that was destined to become my guild leader. Headboss...just the name spoke volumes about how he played.

I had been grouped in Muramite Proving Grounds for the earlier part of the day with some guild members and a power levelled shaman. He was level 70 already and we figured this guy would have it all. What he had were fizzles.........mana bar after mana bar.....canni after canni. He could not buff or heal us without running through a bar of mana first.

Finally that group faded away and I heard the call.... any dps looking for group? I needed some experience after the disastrous group of the morning so decided I would go for it.
I had grouped before on the safe side of 6-way but had not ventured in to the further reaches of see-invis on the other side of the courtyard. This was going to be interesting.

Headboss was boxing, Headboss was pulling, Phancy was dying....a lot. It was a blast.

When I finally had some experience back and it was time to leave, Headboss told me I was a good sport about all the deaths and asked me if I would like to apply to CT. I was flabbergasted. I had fun but I had spent a lot of time dead as well. What guild would
recruit a dead wizard?

It took me a few weeks to decide to make the jump from my guild to Crimson Tempest but it was a decision I have not regretted. It's been almost 10 years now and still my home.

Phancy
Crimson Tempest
Drinal