Author Topic: Day 1, Veil of Alaris - 7 days of EQResource Anniversary Contests!  (Read 5853 times)

Offline Rorce

• Administrator
  • Master
Welcome to Day 1 of the 7 days of EQResource Anniversary Contests!

Todays theme is the Veil of Alaris expansion. Please post in this thread to participate in day 1 of the contest! We want to hear what your favorite part of the Veil of Alaris expansion was!

For full contest details, please visit the official contest thread here: https://eqresource.com/board/index.php?topic=195415

Offline Rorce

• Administrator
  • Master
Re: Day 1, Veil of Alaris - 7 days of EQResource Anniversary Contests!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 08:33:24 AM »
My favorite part of Veil of Alaris was the blimp that allowed adventurers to travel from Steamfont Mountains to Argath. I bet I've ridden that blimp 50 times over the years. I thought it was a very creative, but unfortunately under-utilized way of transporting players to the new zones.

I loved the blimp so much, I made a video of it while adventuring on the Beta server! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMfMQ841MnM

Offline Carbja23

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 10:22:35 AM »
I liked the argath raid and the tower defense raid. They where a lot of fun!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 10:24:22 AM by Carbja23 »

Offline Ranonman

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 10:25:22 AM »
I was not around during VoA expansion. When I returned, I ran through all VoA quests, missions, challengers, and some raids. I'm still working on to complete VoA raids one day. (Missing pillars, temple, windsong, and all sepulcher of order raids) My favorite part is Introduction to Argath. It takes you to the entrance and then you can navigate through top floor to look for spells, quests, and missions there. When it's time to fight, you go downstairs and start your adventure there. I felt that it was nice introduction.

Offline NightGod

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 10:32:23 AM »
Seemingly endless hours spend farming Pillars with friends. It was a great outdoor zone to crawl through, so you didn't get stuck with the usual boredom of sitting in one spot and killing the same 8 mobs over and over again.

On the game mechanics side, the new hotbar system was amazing and the ability to customize guild halls really changed the social side of things.

Offline Dirtypaws

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 10:39:19 AM »
For usability I loved the implementation of the parcel system and improved hot bar sizes to help these old eyes see better :) The Valley is a favorite zone and I really liked the quests line throughout the entire expansion. It was also nice that you did not have to be top level to explore or do some of the quests so that made it available to a larger player base than recent expansions.

Offline Metanis

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 10:39:34 AM »
I loved the 13 raids. Many of them were unique. We worked so hard on winning Rubak Oseka! And the guild I was in at the time was never able to win the final Sepulcher raid. It's still on my bucket list!

The entire expansion offered some incredible artwork and upgrades that are still meaningful today like the Tears of Alaris.

On the negative side of the ledger I wasn't happy with yet another whole race and plot line introduced. Armor upgrades seemed overly complicated at first. The implementation of many vertically-oriented zones meant boxing and autofollow were terribly complicated. But it was a massive and massively intense expansion. Well worth the cost by offering thousands of hours of fun and adventure!

2 thumbs up!

Offline gotcharms

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 10:40:42 AM »
Just recently started doing this expansion with a friend. They want the mount, and I"ve never been a huge VoA fan, but they dragged me into it!

We spent 15 minutes trying to shoot down the blimp things in the partisan chain for the first zone :D :D :D

I also have some fond memories of abusing the hell out of Valley of Lunanyn for power level XP. We ran contests on Test prior to the 110 level cap increase to see what powerleveling path was the fastest. Protip: 1-105, doing Hatchery + Valley is the quickest way to 105! The Lunanyn 500 will always be a love-hate relationship.

Offline aikeilyu

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 10:49:18 AM »
This is one of my favorite EQ expansions, and the only one where I completed the Hunter achievement! It made me laugh when I got jumped and spanked by the Rat Queen in Resplendent - felt like a level 1 back in the Freeport newbie days!

Offline Zvenn

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 11:37:06 AM »
i may be one of the few who would say this but i really liked the Tears of Alaris. achieving the max evolved version was really something quite rewarding and considering the time it took to do it was one of the rarer items to really achieve, but it really made for some fun to me on running some tasks to get some clickies to bank and level that baby up on top of slaughtering as many alarans as you can find hehe

Offline Corwyhn

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 11:42:00 AM »
Always enjoyed Windsong and bringing guildies up there to experience the zone. Beasts Domain was also lots of fun. Overall a great expansion.

Offline Nniki

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 12:08:52 PM »
I returned to the game in 2014 after being gone for a few years. It was right around the time that they were releasing more content for Call of the Forsaken. I think I was logged out in the candyland area of Morell's Castle or something silly. The first content I got to experience when I came back was in Veil of Alaris.

I was shown how to get to Valley of Lunanyn through Argath. I was told to be careful on the spiral ramp, as people would sometimes fall to their death there. I didn't learn about the blimp until later when I started working on traveler achievements and wondered how Alaris was connected to the rest of the world — pretty cool form of transportation. I also remember thinking Pillars of Alra was a neat looking zone when I first saw it doing traveler achievements.

Guildies would take me to Valley to level up. I picked up my first few fragments for the tear there. I remember it feeling so weird to play EverQuest again. The controls felt so foreign for whatever reason. I also got to take advantage of the daily task to kill oashims that was active at the time. That made catching up easy. I eventually came back to farm a Twisted Reed Flute from Aethra the Mad. I used EQ Resource to identify the placeholders I needed to kill! I also later spent some time fishing in Argath... so many Raxil fish.

I got to experience the first few raids in the expansion with some public raids... well, as much as you can when higher levels and gear lets you steamroll the content. I still need to convince some people to go back and do the remaining raids sometime!

I wish I could have experienced it when it was current.

Offline Exuo

• Premium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 01:11:21 PM »
I especially came to love the Valley, just not at first! I remember going in with some guildmates who had already been fighting there. We all zoned in emerging from the pond and BoOM right into a farmer & they all died & for the first time ever i wasnt kos someplace LoL. As an Ogre SK - i was KoS everywhere... it was short live how ever as I took the faction hits, but i was growing stronger with AAs & gear from the zone & richer too as the gear was tradable. I remember camping the named in the trooper encampments and how hard it was to split. Eventually I would be able to go there to solo the encampments & named and eventually swarm pull it all for my own AAs! Good times. I still go back every few months and slaughter the farmers and trooper enmass!

Exuo

Offline Fizzelin

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 01:29:57 PM »
I really enjoyed raiding in this expansion. It was the first expansion that I got to raid start to finish.

Offline Soju

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 02:07:14 PM »
Oddly enough, I enjoyed the quest arc to acquire the pillar port spells for my druid. Not sure why, but I liked that it was a challenge to get instead of just buying it.

Offline startrek41

• Premium Member
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 02:52:05 PM »
favorite part of the Veil of Alaris expansion was the valley that harder mobs in one part and the single solo farming mobs. Their were kills quests that can be redone over and over.

Offline Laynie

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 03:10:35 PM »
I enjoyed riding the blimp and grouping with friends in the valley. :)

Offline Dysanor

• Premium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 03:24:31 PM »
I loved Beast Domain and Windsong. It was the first expansion I had to work hard to kill the mobs. Seemed like they had an insane amount of HP. Fortunately, with new gear, getting xp became much more manageable. I also loved the diversity in zones. I was always impressed with ho wmuch effort they had put in to create an immersive experience.

Dysanor

Offline TenkenT

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 03:28:33 PM »
Veils of Alaris... Started back playing from a small break and re-rolled to a different class during the launch of VoA(one of the expansion that i'll always remember).

Course the raids were amazing lots of fun, chaotic, but straight up nightmarish on some... but! The most favorite part of the expansion for me was ''Beast Domain'' zone; beautiful scenery/artwork, mixture of different beast's, and King of the beast!(raid). Overall it felt like home for a beastlord.

Plus any expansion with Norrath God's in the story is always a +plus in my book of favorite things in EQ.

Offline ghanda

• Premium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 04:02:32 PM »
Loved the raid where you had to jump out of the windows in the tower.

Offline kunarkian

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 04:10:25 PM »
Besides the blimp , the new zones were pretty nice alongside the new npc/mobs.

Offline krazzedk

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 04:15:58 PM »
The best part was falling off the ramp leading down from the top. Some would die, others learnt how to jump from section to section. It was always before a raid and we would have to wait for rezing of the dead who had no mouse control.

Offline Thunderkiks

• Premium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 05:17:14 PM »
I was taking a break from EQ when VoA came out. I returned in 2014. My first memory of tha expansion was going to Valley at level 87 and having my butt handed to me LOL. Didnt return to that zone until 95 Haha.
I really like the Alaran race as a whole and the blimp to travel there is pretty cool as well.

Offline Brendanteske

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 05:46:09 PM »
I remember killing farmers in Valley of Lunanyn and headshoting all over the place. It was a lot of fun.

Offline jebidai

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 06:13:16 PM »
I loved the challenge of coming back from one of my many 3 year breaks, and catching up to all my friends in EXP and gear. That year was a great year as I was able to join TSM at the beginning of their rise to the top of the Rathe, before becoming the top raiding guild of the server a year or so later. That expansion was my first introduction to progression as we all know it now. My main character Jebidai became the first on the server to achieve master of Alaris with the help from Drpain, Kobbo, Pataz, and many others. R.I.P. Bartlot.