Author Topic: [Gamparse] Not loading, .net error message  (Read 1411 times)

Offline HSishi

[Gamparse] Not loading, .net error message
« on: September 14, 2018, 03:49:41 PM »
Greetings.

Today I wanted to start GamParse and get an error message:
"This application requires ...
.NETFramework, Version=v.4.7.1
..."
I do have a newer version installed (4.7.2, embedded in current Win10 preview).

Un- and reinstalling GamParse (1.6.0.13) didn't help.

Any advices or can't I do anything on that issue?

//HSishi

Offline Beimeith

• Premium Member
Re: [Gamparse] Not loading, .net error message
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 06:52:08 PM »
Can you verify which version you have installed? You can do so by following the instructions here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/how-to-determine-which-versions-are-installed

I'm currently using 4.7.2 and it loads find for me.

Also, if there is more to the error message, can you post the whole thing?

Lastly, I've already set it to use 4.7.2 with the next update. So that should fix it regardless.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:25:59 PM by Beimeith »

Offline yogirok

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 02:17:04 PM »
I'm having the same problem. It was working one day and now it pops up a .NET 4.7.2 requirement. Running the 4.7.1 or 4.7.2 installer just says I already have the latest version. Powershell shows I have .NET Framework 4.7.2 461808, but the registry values are a little different between my standard Windows 10 and Windows 10 preview.

I was able to make it work by deleting all the values under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319. Deleting the entire key v4.0.030319 also worked. Gamparse runs now, Gina still works, Everquest still works. Who knows what I may have broke, BUT I made a registry backup of the entire registry and the key. So.... if you really need gamparse back right now, I suppose that's an option. Backing up the entire key is a smart bet incase you would have to require JUST that key weeks or months down the road. It will probably work, but I warn you, messing with .NET keys might also result in you having to rebuild the entire OS because .NET repair and reinstall options are mostly a joke. For some reason they don't reinstall the registry keys. I just messed up the registry on another computer, tried to go to command prompt and pull it back from regback, but regback was empty for some reason. So.. I imported the registry entries for .NET from my Windows Preview to my Windows 10 computers and somehow that worked fine. This computer is really just to play Everquest so I'm not risking much.

Windows Preview version 10.0.17758 BuilD 17758

In my experiment I also deleted Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup and that did not seem to do anything, so of course I restored it and kept deleting until I found whatever it was Gamparse thinks it needs. I'd say Gamparse should use a better check method OR even have an option to override the check.

On the Net Framework Setup key there are different values from from the standard Windows to Windows 10 Preview.

On Windows 10 preview under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client (the OTHER .NET registry key) deleting values in those did nothing, but the values were different.

Release says 461824 and version says 4.7.03190, whatever that means, but they were different from the non preview Windows install. Messing with those keys didn't seem to do anything. Only deleting the Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319 worked or more accurately the subvalues/folders under that entry.

So.... that's for you Mr. Developer. Ideally I'd like way to bypass the .NET check for when things like this happen. I don't know if Linux installs are an issue, but the Powershell check seems easier and more reliable, maybe there is a better way to .NET check.

Gina uses .NET and I broke it while playing with these settings, but unlike gamprase it runs fine and doesn't ask for .NET install while failing to load. That makes me think GINA may employ a smarter .NET checking system OR maybe just an older .NET. Not sure why gamparse even needs the latest .NET so aggressively.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:28:47 PM by yogirok »

Offline Beimeith

• Premium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 03:33:58 PM »
My guess is the issue is because both of you are using a preview build of Windows. I don't use preview builds nor do I test with them.

GP 1.6.0.13 has a requirement of .NET 4.7.1, and it has had that requirement since GP 1.5.2.14 when I updated it from .NET 4.0. The issue is either Windows Preview incorrectly reporting the version, or ClickOnce incorrectly reading the version from Windows Preview. It isn't an issue with GamParse.

For the record, anything below 4.5.2 is no longer officially supported by Microsoft which is what prompted me to update it to the current version at the time, which was 4.7.1.

You can avoid the check by downloading and running the .exe of GamParse directly.

I have no idea what version Gina requires nor if it checks for it as I don't make that program. The settings I use check for whether it is installed, and if not it prompts you to download and install it. Gina may not use this feature.

Regardless, it is not a fault of GamParse. It's Microsoft's problem.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:37:41 PM by Beimeith »