Comments - Modern Guides > Night of Shadows

Mean Streets

(1/1)

Riou:
Questions? Comments? Post them here! Original page - https://nos.eqresource.com/meanstreets.php

Juniare:
Mean Streets video walkthrough

https://youtu.be/INZ12V5GAxU

Tucoh:
Tucoh boxing Mean Streets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXDY8I5xF2k

Tucoh:
Video of Cut Off The Head Achievement - Mean Streets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo--1MZpR7s

This is the hardest achievements I've boxed live. Took me ~20 attempts over the last couple of weeks. This run was a botched job but a win is a win. I'm glad there is at least one fight in the expansion that requires some effort, though I really dislike fights against mobs that will port and then summon you if you have certain DoTs/Debuffs on them.

Basic strat:

* DoT, feign death, Call of the Hero (CotH) to kill the illusion mobs
* Have a mage gate out of instance next to the zone-in NPC
* Slowly kill the real Jak to minimize image / tiger adds
* Have the CotH mage zone in after Jak HP locks and summon ASAP after he teleports
* Haul ass to teleport spot
* Gate the mage again, repeat.
Things I found that don't work:

* DoTs on Jak
* swarm pets on Jak
* a mage actively casting Host of the Elements on Jak
* having an aggro over time spell (I unmemmed Parlay for Power in the middle of this run...)
* having your CotH mage stand on the other side of the city (Images spawn on and attack the mage, this can be handled by having your mage actively running around as they spawn, but they miiiiiight share aggro with Jak even if they despawn without getting near him, making the mage unable to CotH).
I accidentally cast Blood of Tearac on Jak before the first port at 6:19 (I still don't know how this happened, maybe a keybind issue?) which caused him to summon me. I was able to recover by hitting deflection and then bringing my CotH mage over to the shadowknight and popping CotH. I had to do this twice because when I triggered /follow on my boxes they started running crazy which totally derailed my flow. Very sloppy!!

Initially I had a nice multi-macro that used a shadowknight and two mages to kill the three illusions at the start of the encounter. The mages would defensive buff their water pet, pop Frenzied Burnout and send the pet at the Jak illusion while the third mage would cast CotH. This was too unreliable because sometimes the pet would instantly kill Jak and other times it wouldn't kill him before CotH. DoT, FD, CotH using the shadowknight works well enough but isn't as fun or fast.

For a few attempts I would use the bard to pull the thugs away from Jak,  CotH the bard and then pull Jak out of line-of-sight of the thug's path. This works sometimes but is unreliable so I just accepted having to tank one thug each time I fought Jak.

Jak's reset time is 40s, so after the third illusion or teleport you've got 40s to re-enage. It takes a little bit of time to CotH, invis up, get /follow working, but I can typically re-engage within this window even on the furthest port spot. The first fight location was on that spot and I got there 30s after the third illusion died. I have my pets attack Jak first so my shadowknight doesn't die while my group is moving in.

High DPS is counterproductive in this mission, so the two mages I have that aren't CotHing are basically useless. I considered swapping one of them for a healer merc. I probably will do that next time. Hell I could probably swap both of them for a player merc and the only time it'd be a problem is on the initial engage when I don't have pets to send in to take the first hit.

I shifted to a shadowknight for this expansion and he's been performing very well, however he is terrible for this mission because of the amount of time he spends being unable to lifetap. Jak spends 100 seconds in an HP locked state twice in the encounter while you have tigers/images/thugs beating on you. You can lifetap the thugs but that makes things awkward for me because my mages want to assist and nuke whatever my shadowknight targets. I didn't use all my defensive cooldowns during this fight, but even if I did I'd still have to spend a considerable amount of time fighting with minimal self-buffs. If I had my previous group with a war + sha + pal I'd probably try to just no-damage tank the adds. Most folks either off-tank or kite the thugs, which is way more reliable than what I did.

Provolone:
Mean Streets: Waste No Effort
Kill the 3 fake Jakarashev before engaging the real, fakes have a buff so easy to look before starting.

Mean Streets: Cut Off The Head
See Tucoh's post for additional info.
There are a few ways to do this but I find this strat easy enough. Bring 2 tanks 2 heals and pull thugs to a spot then have 1 tank and 1-2 healers stay with them the entire fight while rest of group does mission. You can also use a pet tank instead of 2nd tank for the rest of mission. The worst part of this one will be tanking the 4 thugs with this strategy but enough healing and gear makes it simple at least, consider dragon glyph if needed. You will want a slow class for tigers and bane thugs, a bard pulling the 4 thugs to tank works well because you can bane on the pulls and self DA if needed.

Mean Streets: No You Don't
Do the event normal until 40% then sent all but tank(and healer if needed) to other spots to kill the illusions that spawn at 35%. Repeat for 20% set but you can ignore 7% set, usually tank can bring boss from 35-20 solo but you can send a dps back to help then summon or have them run back quickly if needed.

It is ideal to plan ahead so you can go one direction instead of back and forth, you can drop mission and get one where boss starts at 1 or 4 if you are really close and need the extra time. If a class can solo a 30 million HP illusion without dying like a mage then sending them to burn an illusion while rest get other 2 illusions will help save time even in a lower dps group. Bringing a druid or shaman to heal can also help since they can DPS well on illusion if the tank is able to solo real Jak. Bard selos and mage call of the hero work well for this mission to save precious time for lower dps groups.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version