Author Topic: Beta/test spell data and search  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Axxius

• Premium Member
Beta/test spell data and search
« on: October 30, 2015, 01:02:49 PM »
Things I would like to see, especially during the beta times:

1. Make Beta spells searchable [for premium members]. Currently, if a spell has not been ported to Live yet, you cannot find it via Search, even though you have processed the beta spells_us already (example: search for Final Doom right now).

2. If the current spell data on Test or Beta is newer and differs from the current Live data on it, add the links to the Test/Beta [premium] data to that spell's page. (important: show only the changes that are newer than Live).

Offline Rorce

• Administrator
  • Master
Re: Beta/test spell data and search
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 01:07:46 PM »
1. This can already be done. On the Spell Search page, there is a dropdown menu for "Source". All members have access to Live and Test, but Premium members have access to Beta.

2. We've discussed this. While it's possible, it would create a large resource usage load on page load (our Live, Test, and Beta databases are all seperate, so on page load it would have to do a comparison across all fields, across all databases). This might be something we add for Premium Members only (due to the resource usage), but I won't have time to code it until after this Beta.

Offline Axxius

• Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 01:20:07 PM »
1. Thanks. I totally missed that drop-down.

2. (a random clueless outsider idea) Do you actually re-parse spell data on every query? I hope not. If the data is parsed once and then kept in a database, you can add a field for "newer test/beta data available" and update it when you parse test/beta spells_us. That would eliminate extra resource load.

Offline Rorce

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 02:31:04 PM »
2. (a random clueless outsider idea) Do you actually re-parse spell data on every query? I hope not. If the data is parsed once and then kept in a database, you can add a field for "newer test/beta data available" and update it when you parse test/beta spells_us. That would eliminate extra resource load.

Maybe. Our spell changes are tracked seperately from parsed spell data, so I'd have to do some in depth thinking on this one.